Financial Aid FAQ

  • How do I apply for financial aid?
    You will need to go to the Federal Student Aid website  to apply. For each academic year, you will need to use tax information from 2 years prior. If you are under the age of 24, you will also need your parent(s) tax information for the applicable year.
  • What does FAFSA cover?
    FAFSA covers Federal Pell Grant, Subsidized/Unsubsidized Student loans, and Work-Study Funding.
  • What scholarship can I qualify for?
    We recommend you speak with your Financial Aid Advisor for details on scholarships or apply for scholarships online at Scholar Dollars Website

  • How do I apply for the NEW MEXICO Lottery Scholarship?
    There is no application for the lottery scholarship; you must complete your qualifying semester with a GPA of 2.5 or higher and at least 12 credit hours or more with NMSU-A.
  • What is a qualifying semester for the Lottery scholarship?
    The qualifying semester for the lottery scholarship is the first semester the student is in college. The requirements are 2.5 semester GPA, completing 12 credit hours or more, and enrolling first regular semester after High School graduation or GED completion.
  • How will my financial aid be disbursed?
    Financial Aid and/or Scholarship awards will be automatically applied to the student’s NMSU account through the University Accounts Receivable Office. Any funds remaining, after paying university expenses, will be available to the student through direct deposit or check. Students may sign up for direct deposit through myNMSU.

  • Why have I not received my financial aid?
    Financial aid cannot be disbursed until your financial aid file is complete. Students can review the status of their financial aid through their myNMSU and/or by contacting the Financial Aid office.
  • What if I don’t attend my classes?
    Students who are paid financial aid and do not attend classes will be liable for all tuition and fees and may be required to repay all or a portion of the financial aid.
  • Am I required to be degree-seeking to receive financial aid?
    To receive financial aid, you must be degree-seeking with NMSU-A.
  • Are there classes that financial aid will not pay for?
    Financial aid will not pay for auditing courses.
  • How do I apply for a student loan?
    The application for student loans is located in the Financial Aid Office.
  • Will my academic progress affect my financial aid?
    Yes. Satisfactory academic progress will determine eligibility for federal financial aid. Please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy on the policies page.
  • Do I need to notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes to my class schedule?
    It is highly recommended to talk to the financial aid office before making any changes, to see how it might affect your aid.

Questions? Call the Financial Aid office at 575.439.3600.